Friday, July 22, 2011

MY FAVORITE CONTEMPORARY WALTZ COMPOSER

Make room on the bench, Jay.
I wrote the following before catching wind of Judy Hyman's and Dick Hyman's new CD, coming out in a couple weeks, Late Last Summer.
I already have three favorites: Audubon's Lucy, Ralph's Watch and Hannah.
Links will follow soon.

So if JAY UNGAR topped my list in the past then he's currently sharing it with Judy Hyman.

His tunes are heartfelt and emotional. He's a waltzer, too, and makes music that he would love to waltz to. There's something very endearing in his melodies.
I don't know if there's name for it but I call it the "floating pause" when just the right note is held for just the right about of time, allowing the dancers to float ever so briefly between steps and moves. This element takes me to the next level of bliss when I'm dancing. It allows a focus and balance and just the slightest amount of air between my feet and the ground. I feel weightless for just that second, like I have wings and could take flight.
Jay infuses his waltz melodies with these floating pauses.
Here Jay plays two tunes I got to waltz to when he and Molly visited Cornell in July 2011. I was waltzing with my partner behind the camera somewhere on the sidewalks that crisscross the Arts Quad.
Harvest Home Suite After the intro he goes into a beautiful and sweet waltz.
Lover's Waltz, here performed by Jay, Molly, Aly Bain and others in the Transatlantic Sessions. I've provided links at the bottom of the page for two more samples of this tune. Like all his waltzes it, too, tugs at the heartstrings.

No comments:

Post a Comment